Friday, April 3, 2015

Ta-Da! Insect Hotel Finished

Would you say my influences are Frank Lloyd Wright or I.M. Pei?  Or Freecycle?

Whatever, I finished the insect hotel for our backyard yesterday. I even had some shingles left over from when we added on to our house, so hopefully the roof won't leak.  Find out more about insect hotels here

It already has occupants, the Orchard bees (Osmia) I got for free have been out there for a few weeks.  No sign of them being active yet, but I can't blame them...it got down to below freezing again last night.  

We have however provided plenty of new accommodation when those females emerge & start laying eggs.  

The only issue with the Freecycle process is that there is a very good possibility that all the wood has been treated so that it won't rot.  Which means that it's not good for insects!  Which is why all furnishings inside (but not the structure) are made of scraps, logs, bamboo, pine cones, etc. from our yard and general scavenging in the neighborhood.  All of which is natural, and most of which is rotting.  

I am totally hoping to see all sorts of creepy crawlies & smaller mammalia back there soon (providing plenty of food for my beloved birds)!

Do you have an insect hotel?  I'd love to see photos!